Espresso contains less caffeine than a regular cup of coffee.
- A single shot of Espresso (30ml) contains on average 70mg of caffeine
- A double shot of Espresso (60ml) contains on average 140mg of caffeine
- A regular cup of Coffee (300ml) contains on average 95mg of caffeine
Caffeine is a stimulant that makes you feel more awake by blocking adenosine a compound found in all living tissues that has various functions including inducing sleep.
So yes Espresso will keep you awake a single shot isn’t as powerful as a regular cup of coffee, but a double shot is significantly more powerful and will certainly keep you up.
Espresso is a brilliant drink for the morning and at various times through the day, but late night coffee consumption can mean restless nights with broken up sleep which is not good.
- Caffeine will stay in your system for 4-7 hours
If you need to keep awake by all means, use Espresso
if you’re concerned about the quality of your sleep (and you should be) you have two options
- 1, Avoid Espresso 4-7 hours before bedtime
- 2, Consume Decaffeinated Espresso 4-7 hours before bedtime